‘The last 10 minutes felt like 10 hours’ – Stowmarket boss Andrews after FA Vase win

PUBLISHED: 09:00 05 December 2018 | UPDATED: 11:34 05 December 2018

Stowmarket players (yellow and black) celebrate their first-half equaliser against Swaffham. Picture: CARL MARSTON

Stowmarket players (yellow and black) celebrate their first-half equaliser against Swaffham. Picture: CARL MARSTON


Stowmarket Town manager, Rick Andrews, admitted that the final 10 minutes of last night’s FA Vase replay “felt like 10 hours.”

But his side held on to record a 2-1 win over Swaffham Town, in an FA Vase third round replay at Greens Meadow, to reach the fourth round of this national competition for only the second time in their history. They are the only club, from either Suffolk or Norfolk, through to the last 32.

“I’m so pleased, for everyone at the club,” enthused Andrews.

“We’ve got this far once before, back in the 1980s, but that was more than 30 years ago.

“We’ve had two very tough games, against very dogged opposition.

“And to be honest, I was surprised with how well Swaffham played early on. They did well in the first 30 minutes.

“But we then played a bit of football and scored a goal before half-time, with what was our first real move.

“There were a few choice words at half-time, but not that many because I felt that we had got into the game during the last 10 minutes of the first half.

“It was a great header from Sam (Nunn) to get us the winner, and it’s great for Sam, because he is a Stowmarket lad, through-and-through.

“We played a lot better in the second half, and we then made sure that we saw it out.

“I didn’t think that I would be so nervous at the end, but this was a big deal for the club, and such a big game.

“In fact, those last 10 minutes felt like 10 hours!” added Andrews.

- Needham Market suffered a 2-0 defeat away at Biggleswade Town in an Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Central clash in Bedfordshire last night.

Both goals came in the second half, and both were scored by Bradley Bell.

The hosts took the deadlock in the 51st minute, from a corner. Ben Walster’s delivery to the far post was teed up by Tom Smith for Bell to slot home.

And Bell struck from another corner, again swung over by Walster, in the 83rd minute. Joe White’s shot was blocked but Bell buried the rebound.


Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Stowmarket Mercury visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Stowmarket Mercury staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Stowmarket Mercury account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Most Read

Latest from the Stowmarket Mercury

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists