Local non-league clash called off tomorrow after Covid-19 concerns
- Credit: PA
Tomorrow’s Thurlow Nunn Premier Division clash between Stowmarket Town and Ely City has been called off.
Two members of Ely’s squad have shown Covid-19 symptoms and they have taken tests.
It’s not the first time a local football match has been called off because of Covid-19 concerns.
Last month the FA Cup extra preliminary round tie between Newmarket Town and Walsham-le-Willows was cancelled due to one of the away side’s players testing positive for Covid-19. Walsham had to forfeit the tie.
Following that, Bury Town were forced to cancel a scheduled pre-season friendly at home against Braintree Town as the Blues had came up against the infected player during a friendly against Walsham.
You may also want to watch:
In a tweet, Stowmarket Town wished the Ely players in question best wishes and a quick recovery.
On Tuesday, Stowmarket Town’s clash at Woodbridge was called off after the referee was taken ill during the second half.
- 1 Mapped: The neighbourhoods with the highest Covid infection rates
- 2 Popular burger joint up for sale after failing to find new home
- 3 Warning to motorists after flood alerts issued
- 4 Huge numbers of Covid vaccine bookings in Suffolk – people urged to be patient
- 5 More than 1,500 homes left without power
- 6 'Herculean effort' to be made to vaccinate all care home residents
- 7 Plans for new retail units at Stonham Barns
- 8 Flood warning as Suffolk set for 23 hours of heavy rain later this week
- 9 Covid vaccine booking website is working despite complaints, says GP boss
- 10 A140 closed after lorry jackknifes in snow