Local non-league clash called off tomorrow after Covid-19 concerns
- Credit: PA
Tomorrow’s Thurlow Nunn Premier Division clash between Stowmarket Town and Ely City has been called off.
Two members of Ely’s squad have shown Covid-19 symptoms and they have taken tests.
It’s not the first time a local football match has been called off because of Covid-19 concerns.
Last month the FA Cup extra preliminary round tie between Newmarket Town and Walsham-le-Willows was cancelled due to one of the away side’s players testing positive for Covid-19. Walsham had to forfeit the tie.
Following that, Bury Town were forced to cancel a scheduled pre-season friendly at home against Braintree Town as the Blues had came up against the infected player during a friendly against Walsham.
You may also want to watch:
In a tweet, Stowmarket Town wished the Ely players in question best wishes and a quick recovery.
On Tuesday, Stowmarket Town’s clash at Woodbridge was called off after the referee was taken ill during the second half.
- 1 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 2 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 3 Seven of the best places to get ice cream in Suffolk
- 4 Plans for over 170 new homes near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Sports clubs can get share of £350k pot to restart after lockdown
- 6 Work begins on new shared police and fire station in Stowmarket
- 7 Schools still face uncertainty over Covid for new term
- 8 Dry day for weather - but rain set to return
- 9 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 10 Classic car events - were you at these vintage vehicle rallies?