Gym United Manager Matt Morton has hailed his side’s togetherness after they became only the second Suffolk team to reach the semi-finals of the FA Sunday Cup, writes Nick Garnham.

The Premier Logos Bury & District Sunday League side won 3-1 against Lebeqs Tavern Courage FC in Bristol on Sunday afternoon to set up a semi-final at a neutral venue versus Liverpool side Mayfair FC on March 11th in the last four of this national competition.

In doing so they emulated the feat of Capel Plough, who reached the last four in the 1994-95 season, before losing on penalties after a replay to eventual winners St Joseph’s from Luton.

Morton, who is also club chairman, said: “I said to the players both before the game and again at half-time that one of the things that separates us from other teams is not just our ability and experience, but how much everyone cares and the bond that exists between the players, through the friendships created off the field.

“That togetherness and character of the team was vital to our success against a very good side with some very good players including two ex-professionals.”

The Suffolk visitors were already 1-0 leading through an Andrew Wood goal when Lebeqs’ Tristan Plummer was sent off for an alleged stamp after around 25 minutes.

Wood, who had already scored three penalties in this season’s competition, then saw a spot kick superbly saved by the goalkeeper, who pushed his effort around a post as Gym led by the only goal at the interval.

Morton continued: “We were under pressure in the second half but defended well and they didn’t get in behind us, and then we used our pace to break away on the counter-attack.”

Wood broke clear to score the second around the hour mark and ten minutes later converted a second penalty to complete his hat-trick, before Lebeqs reduced the deficit with a penalty five minutes from time.

The other semi-final will be between The Hardwick FC from Durham and New Salamis FC from London. The venues will be announced in due course.