Portman Road Fanzone unlikely for Euros - but club to 'continually review' plans
- Credit: Archant
The return of a big screen at Ipswich Town FC for England's games during the European Championships remains unlikely - but the club will "continually review the situation".
Earlier in the year, the club were hopeful that it would be able to welcome supporters back to the Portman Road Fanzone for England's matches at the rescheduled tournament, which begins on Friday.
However, with the spread of the Delta variant — the coronavirus variant first identified in India — threatening to derail the planned route out of lockdown, it is now unlikely that the Fanzone will open.
Prime minister Boris Johnson will next week outline whether lockdown will come to an end as planned on June 21.
Plans to delay or scale down the total easing of restrictions on June 21 are reportedly being considered by ministers.
The Fanzone was a huge hit during the 2018 World Cup in Russia, with thousands of supporters gathering on the Portman Road artificial practice pitch to watch the Three Lions in action during the tournament.
In the delayed Euro 2020 starting on Friday, England will play Croatia on June 13 at 2pm, Scotland on June 18 at 8pm, and the Czech Republic on June 22, also at 8pm.
A spokesman for Ipswich Town said: “At this stage, the Fanzone will be closed, however, the club will continually review the situation.”
Meanwhile, one person who will be at Portman Road this summer is Ed Sheeran after the Suffolk pop superstar announced he will be performing a live show at the club's ground.
The singer-songwriter, who is the club's new shirt sponsor, will perform a virtual concert at his hometown club on Friday June 25 as part of the TikTok UEFA EURO 2020 Show.
The live show will be streamed from Sheeran's TikTok channel and will feature the very first performance of his new single as well as classic tracks.
- 1 Weather warning for Suffolk this week with thunderstorms predicted
- 2 71% of people want Covid restrictions to remain after June 21 - survey
- 3 Did you do a litter-pick this weekend? Spot yourself in our Suffolk Clean Sweep gallery
- 4 Plans for 44 homes submitted for Elmswell farmland
- 5 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
- 6 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 What has changed in Stowmarket over the last year?
- 10 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
There will be no audience for the show and no tickets can be purchased.
Speaking on his social media channel last week, Sheeran said: “Can’t wait to perform at TikTok’s UEFA EURO 2020 show live from Portman Road.
"It’s a place I love and I’m looking forward to performing some fan faves as well as my new track for the first time! See you on June 25.”