Traffic 'hell' as A140 closed for hours due to pub's damaged sign
A pub's damaged sign has caused "traffic hell" on Suffolk's A140 - after the road was closed for hours so it could be repaired.
The Magpie pub's sign hangs over the A140 in Stonham.
But landlord Viada Lapene found out on Tuesday that the sign was insecure and needed repairing.
As a result, the road has been closed between the Earl Stonham and Mickfield junctions since 8am today - to the frustration of motorists.
A long diversion has been set up for heavy goods vehicles - but the delays are also backing up onto the A14.
You may also want to watch:
Owner of Bagel or Beigel in Mendlesham, Avi Kniznik, who got stuck in the traffic, said: "It's hell."
He said traffic was moving at just 20mph along the A14.
- 1 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 2 Lack of drivers having .massive impact' on Suffolk businesses
- 3 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 4 Care homes 'may have to close' over staffing crisis, Suffolk boss warns
- 5 artEast exhibition returns to showcase best of region and beyond
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 5 places to go pumpkin picking in Suffolk and North Essex
- 8 Have you checked out the American cars at Stonham Barns before?
- 9 Business leaders calling for action over number of vacancies
- 10 Covid booster jab to be offered to more than 30 million people
Nearby resident Anne Halls said she was worried the problems will cause traffic to back up on smaller countryside roads.
She added there was "not much you can do" and sad she felt sorry for those travelling to and from north Suffolk and onto Norwich.
Mrs Lapene said the Magpie will also be shut for a few days, potentially costing her business - especially during tonight's Euro 2020 semi-final between England and Denmark.