Armed police called to reports of gunshots find clay pigeon shoot
- Credit: Google Maps
Police called out to reports of gunshots in a Suffolk town instead found a clay pigeon shoot.
Suffolk police were called to Stowmarket on Saturday evening shortly after 7pm following reports of gunshots being heard close to the town centre.
Officers were sent to the area and confirmed they could hear gunshots in the vicinity and armed police were then sent to the town.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said: "It was soon established it was a clay pigeon shoot that police were not aware of."
It is not a legal requirement for clay pigeon shooters to tell police about the shoot but the spokesman said it was a good idea to let police know if the location of the shoot was not used regularly for this purpose.
The incident has now been closed.
- 1 Weather warning for Suffolk this week with thunderstorms predicted
- 2 71% of people want Covid restrictions to remain after June 21 - survey
- 3 Did you do a litter-pick this weekend? Spot yourself in our Suffolk Clean Sweep gallery
- 4 Plans for 44 homes submitted for Elmswell farmland
- 5 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
- 6 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 What has changed in Stowmarket over the last year?
- 10 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia