Riding high - did you compete in gymkhanas as a youngster?
- Credit: Archant
Did you belong to a pony club as a youngster, and compete in gymkhanas around Suffolk?
Or did you go along to watch the riders battling it out?
Our latest nostalgic picture gallery looks back to equestrian events around the county in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.
One of the most unusual photos shows riders wearing fancy dress at Creeting St Mary Show and Gymkhana in August 1979.
And there are also pictures of proud winners showing off their rosettes and trophies after a successful ride.
The word "gymkhana" originally referred to displays of athletics and equestrian events in 19th-century India.
Events where horse and pony riders showed their skills went on to become very popular in the UK, and many were held around East Anglia over the years.
- 1 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 2 Winter art trail to bring cheer to the streets of Stowmarket
- 3 5 roadworks to plan your journeys around in Suffolk this week
- 4 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 5 Could you offer these rescue animals a forever home?
- 6 Suffolk set to be battered by strong winds as weather warning issued
- 7 Omicron variant will come to Suffolk - county prepares to tackle it
- 8 Christmas lighting display the 'spirit' of Stowmarket mum
- 9 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 10 Thousands vaccinated in a day in huge effort against Covid
To order copies of photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.