Do you remember royal visit and World Cup fever at 2002 Suffolk Show?
- Credit: Clifford Hicks/Archant
On the day the Suffolk Show should have opened, we are looking back to the event from 2002, including a royal visit and World Cup celebrations.
In the Queen's Golden Jubilee year, the show welcomed a visit from Princess Alexandra.
The princess was delayed due to traffic gridlock, but spent more than two hours visiting the show's cattle enclosures, chatting to farmers and visiting demonstrations.
The show was extra special in 2002 because the previous year's event had been cancelled due to the foot-and-mouth outbreak.
So its return caused added excitement, just as there will be for the show's return next year.
You may also want to watch:
Unusually, the 2002 show was held on Thursday and Friday.
And there was added excitement on Friday morning when visitors were able to celebrate England's victory over Argentina in the World Cup, taking place in Japan.
To order photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Weather warning for Suffolk this week with thunderstorms predicted
- 2 71% of people want Covid restrictions to remain after June 21 - survey
- 3 Did you do a litter-pick this weekend? Spot yourself in our Suffolk Clean Sweep gallery
- 4 Plans for 44 homes submitted for Elmswell farmland
- 5 It's coming home! Fans across Suffolk celebrate England's win
- 6 Yellow weather warning issued for thunderstorms and flooding for next week
- 7 Freedom Day has been delayed by up to four weeks
- 8 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 9 What has changed in Stowmarket over the last year?
- 10 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia