First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 4 Companies facing tough recruitment battle in booming jobs market
- 5 Fare dodgers and fraudsters pay £4m to Greater Anglia in 2021
- 6 150 arrests made during Christmas crackdown on drink and drug driving
- 7 Children 'not receiving mental health support'
- 8 Nearly 30% drop in Suffolk dentists taking NHS work
- 9 Nurseries, pre-schools and primaries see Covid rate rises
- 10 Go-ahead given for 66 new homes on farmland