Check these junior chess photos - can you spot yourself?
- Credit: Archant
Were you a chess enthusiast as a youngster? You might see yourself battling over a board in our gallery.
Chess has recently seen a surge in popularity in the wake of hit Netflix drama The Queen’s Gambit. The show tells the story of a young girl in a 1950s orphanage, who reveals an amazing talent for the game.
But it has also been a much-loved pastime over the years, with players showing their skills at tournaments around Suffolk and Essex.
The expressions on the young chess players' faces in these photos show just how much concentration the game takes - while still being great fun too.
Chess is an ancient game. Although its exact origins are unknown, early forms originated in India around the 6th century AD.
Its popularity has endured through the centuries, and battles between some of the most famous grandmasters even inspired the Tim Rice musical Chess.
If these photos bring back memories, email firstname.lastname@example.org
To order copies of photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 2 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
- 3 Seven of the best places to get ice cream in Suffolk
- 4 Plans for over 170 new homes near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Sports clubs can get share of £350k pot to restart after lockdown
- 6 Work begins on new shared police and fire station in Stowmarket
- 7 Schools still face uncertainty over Covid for new term
- 8 Dry day for weather - but rain set to return
- 9 Met Office issues yellow weather warning for strong winds across Suffolk
- 10 Classic car events - were you at these vintage vehicle rallies?