Check these junior chess photos - can you spot yourself?
- Credit: Archant
Were you a chess enthusiast as a youngster? You might see yourself battling over a board in our gallery.
Chess has recently seen a surge in popularity in the wake of hit Netflix drama The Queen’s Gambit. The show tells the story of a young girl in a 1950s orphanage, who reveals an amazing talent for the game.
But it has also been a much-loved pastime over the years, with players showing their skills at tournaments around Suffolk and Essex.
The expressions on the young chess players' faces in these photos show just how much concentration the game takes - while still being great fun too.
Chess is an ancient game. Although its exact origins are unknown, early forms originated in India around the 6th century AD.
Its popularity has endured through the centuries, and battles between some of the most famous grandmasters even inspired the Tim Rice musical Chess.
If these photos bring back memories, email email@example.com
To order copies of photos, visit our website or call Diane Townsend on 01603 772449.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 3 Ice skating and real-life reindeer at new festive fayre
- 4 How you can win thousands of pounds of books for your school
- 5 411 'paranormal sightings' reported in Suffolk
- 6 Woman, 85, has 'appalling' three hour wait for ambulance
- 7 Region eagerly awaits the arrival of world's top cycling talent
- 8 Stowmarket man accused of arson after allegedly damaging drain cover
- 9 Tesco workers 'surprised' by pandemic portraits
- 10 Get a taste of time travel at the Stonham Barns Viking Festival